Thursday, April 24, 2008

Khairy: There was no recount for Rembau (Malaysiakini)


Umno Youth deputy chief Khairy Jamaluddin has written to dispute Malaysiakini’s reports that there was a recount of votes on polling night of March 8 in the Rembau parliamentary constituency where he won by 5,726.The following is his letter in full:
Thank you for Malaysiakini’s continued interest in and coverage of my career.I wish to draw your attention to the fact that your reports asserting that I initially lost and that subsequently there was a re-count at the Rembau parliamentary constituency in the recent general election are a completely false and baseless. I never lost a “first count” and there never was a re-count. This fact was made clear by the Election Commission which was also reported in an article on March 13 of the The Star.Your most recent assertion that I initially lost and subsequently won in a re-count was contained in Syed Jaymal Zahiid’s article ‘Ku Li: Power transition unconstitutional’ which was published. It contains the following statement which was attributed to me:“They counted the postal votes first and not after the re-count. Even if the postal votes are not counted, I would have won by some 500 over votes,” he said.The article also contains the following passage:The Rembau March 8 results became controversial after the first count saw Khairy’s PKR opponent winning by some 800 majority votes. This result however turned after Khairy demanded a recount. Following this, he was declared a winner by a majority of 5,726 votes.For the record, I wish to state that the quote that was attributed to me is completely incorrect. I would not have even suggested that there was a re-count knowing fully well, as I do, that there was none. I append herewith a transcript of the interview in which I was alleged to have made the above statement which clearly shows that the quote attributed to me is false. I will also furnish you with a copy of the audio recording should you require one.I was present at the main counting centre on the night of March 8. At no point did I lose an initial count and, as such, at no time was there a need for a re-count. The total number of votes cast in favour of my opponent, Badrul Hisham Shaharin from Parti Keadilan Rakyat, did not at any time warrant a re-count as provided for under the Elections (Conduct of Elections) Regulations 1981. I was declared winner by 5,746 votes after the first and only count. In fact, I believe that Badrul was not even present at the main counting centre on March 8.Having regard to the facts and in the circumstances, I cannot avoid the conclusion that your assertion that I initially lost and that subsequently there was a re-count of the votes in the Rembau parliamentary constituency, made by your news portal on the very night of the election itself is irresponsible and mischievous.
Equally, I find it difficult to avoid concluding that the continued assertion in your reports of the March 11 and April 18, of there being a re-count and the fact that there was ample opportunity to verify the assertion. I also find it disturbing that you can attribute to me a statement which I never made, suggesting gross journalistic incompetence or mischief on your part.
Quite apart from undermining the legitimacy of my victory at the polls, your continued false assertion that I initially lost and that subsequently there was a re-count, and the innuendo attached to it, clearly undermines the integrity of the democratic election process that took place at the Rembau constituency.Having regard to the foregoing, it is fair, proper and in the public interest, particularly the interest of the voters in the Rembau parliamentary constituency, that Malaysiakini forthwith retracts its assertion and publishes a correction with an appropriate apology.Khairy Jamaluddin Abu Bakar

No comments:

 
Google